Sunday, May 16, 2010

Weekly Summary Week One

This week was the first week of my senior project. I learned alot of stuff about how bike shops work. I 
started out learning the small stuff about how they set the bikes up outside of the shop. I learned they set the recumbent and bikes with kickstands up to the left of the doors, and the bikes without kickstands to the right of the door on the front porch. On the side, we set up the used bikes that are for sale. kids bikes to one side, next to bikes with kickstands, and bikes without kickstands in the racks to the other side. In the back of the shop, the repaired bikes are set up outside.
I learned the way that the mechanics clean the bikes in the morning before they are worked on. Having a clean, mostly greaseless bike makes assessing and fixing problems much easier. I learned how the filing system works so each employee knows which bikes they have in stock. I think I was asked to clean the bikes because it is pretty easy, and no one really wants to do it. 
Everything went pretty much as I expected it to. There wasn't any big surprises to me. I will feel much more comfortable around the shop next week because I know what goes on, and what has to go on for the shop to run smoothly. Next week I will be able to help with everything better and be a better intern around the shop. I am excited for my second week at the shop, and hope I will get to learn even more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment